Analysis of Source 2

The source I have chosen to analyze, is a propoganda out of China in 1937, at the height of Japanese imperialism and invasion into China. The caption is said to read, “Everbody must hate the enemy, defenses must be constructed step-by-step, fortifications must be strengthened, the enemy must be exterminated.” The picture, as shown below, displays a massive Chinese artillery batteriesĀ on the walls of older castle like fortifications. To me this states that the Chinese wanted to build modern fortifications and defences just like their ancestors did with the Great Wall. Also there is a depiction of a maraching army, possible Japanese, with emphasized fists which alludes to the powerful ruthless fist of the Japanese invasion. However, in the next two frames their is a dead Japanese soldier and a close up view of the artillery fortification symbolizing the effectiveness of such defences. To me this raises the question as to how the people reacted to this poster. It is my belief that a population so familiar with ancestor worship would be drawn to the idea of defending their homeland in such mighty fasion like the Chinese warriors of old and would likely have the desired morale bost and demand for the population to assist in building defences against the Japanese.

pc-1938-004

Everbody must hate the enemy, defenses must be constructed step-by-step, fortifications must be strengthened, the enemy must be exterminated, 1937, Designer Unknown, Courtesy of Chineseposters.net